glorious flowers

glorious flowers

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Mycoremediation

I've been researching mycoremediation lately and I finally started reading a book that a friend recommended a few years ago (Mycelium Running: How Mushrooms Can Save the World), both of which have pointed me in the direction of Paul Stamets. He is the author of the book and a huge proponent of mycoremdiation. When our house was getting set up somehow some gasoline was spilled in the yard. I planted a white cedar in the front yard last fall and the soil smelled really strong of gas. As I filled the hole back in I had to smell each handful of dirt to see if it was contaminated. I didn't really know what to do about it except send the white cedar positive energy, and to spread sawdust around the affected area. As it turns out, oyster mushroom mycelia and straw would have been a better choice. I will be ordering the mycelia from Paul Stamets's website, Fungi Perfecti at www.fungi.com sometime in the near future. Enjoy this Ted talk from Paul. It is fascinating!

No comments:

Post a Comment