glorious flowers

glorious flowers

Monday, January 16, 2012

a new direction

So our produce sales at the Fall Feast were underwhelming, but it was a fun experience anyway. I discovered that what my husband lacks in patience for gardening, he makes up for in salesmanship. He did a great job engaging customers.
I just started a new job that I really like and that will likely take up a great deal of my time and energy for gardening, but nevertheless I intend to expand Magic Summer Minifarm this year. I will have a new area tilled that is about the same size as the existing garden bed. This new area is beyond the shadow of the tall pines that begins to shade half the garden by 3 in the late summer. I have ordered an abundance of seeds and plants from Companion Plants, an amazing resource for medicinal, native, culinary, and ceremonial use plants ( www.companionplants.com ) located in my home state of Ohio. I plan to turn the existing garden bed into a perennial bed and use the new one for annuals and fruit bushes. I will put the raspberries closest to the edge of the yard, where there is a forest full of deer, to act as a living fence in case I don't get around to putting up a fence right away. I got lucky last year so maybe I shouldn't push it with the deer any longer than I have to. I must say, though, that I have 2 plants in the yard that are typically considered "deer candy": an apple tree and a white cedar. I did try that new product "Repellex", which is a systemic capsaicin for ornamental plants, on the white cedar, but the apple tree has no such protection. Both plants, as far as I can tell, have not been touched by the deer at all. It probably helps to have neighbors that hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment